Saturday, June 18, 2011

Living the dream


On Thursday after work I took Ashley to a pediatric dental office to have them look at her amazing Technicolor tooth.  I tried to leave work by a specific time to get to my mother-in-law’s house early enough to avoid any of the predicable delays, only it just didn’t work out for me.  I had to help Judy find some registrations that I entered for a special program, so that put me behind a good 15 minutes.  Judy is so nice about the hundreds of questions that I ask her on any given day, so I was glad to be able to help her out.  I rushed out of work and drove to Gisela’s house as fast as the law would allow.  I swear I got a red light at every single intersection I came across!  So I get to Gisela’s and immediately my eyes are drawn to the sleeping form on my daughter on the couch, still in her pajamas no less!  Now I know for a fact I had mentioned this appointment three times during the week and twice in the morning.  Gisela asked me what I was doing there so early and suddenly remembered about the appointment I had told her about.  I set my nieces about to finding Ashley’s shoes and socks while I woke her up as slowly as possible and changed her clothing.  She was also covered head to toe in mugre and sweat so she didn’t exactly smell like a flor either.  I managed to get my complaining daughter changed and wiped down with a damp cloth.

I hustled us into the car and stowed the bag with Ashley’s clothes and diapers and off we went.  There was no help for it at this point; we were going to be late.  Anyone who knows me knows just how much I despise being late for anything.  On a typical day I am at work at least 30 minutes before the start of my shift and I’m out of sorts if I’m not early.  Anyway, we were making good time until we got to a certain portion of the freeway less than a mile from our destination where traffic slowed to a crawl.  It was at that point when the receptionist from the dental office called me to make sure I was aware of our appointment.  I advised the receptionist that we were less than a mile from their office but stuck in traffic at the moment.  She said that if we were more than 15 minutes late, we would lose our chance to be seen and a fee would be assessed for insufficient notice since they have a 24 hours policy.  We managed to arrive at the office exactly 10 minutes after our set appointment time.  I spent the next 10 minutes filling out paperwork while Ashley played with the toys in the lobby.  By this point she was actually in a rather good mood which is rare when you have to wake her up from her nap.  We were shown back to the exam area and Ashley sat on the chair all by herself.  The dental assistant looked at the tooth in question and checked for any sign that would indicate a problem.  Ashley was not happy at all after the initial exam since the dental assistant had to push and pull on her tooth and the surrounding gums.  They decided they needed an x-ray so she had me sit down in the exam chair and hold Ashley on my lap.  As she draped the lead apron draped over us, she asked me if there was any chance of my being pregnant.  I started laughing.  I just couldn’t help it!  Luckily she took that as a no and didn’t ask for an explanation.  We had to restrain Ashley for the x-ray because the bite thing they use was a little too big for her mouth so she fought it.  The x-ray was clean; there was no damage to the root so I was told what signs to watch for regarding the tooth.  Otherwise Ashley is doing well with her teeth and doesn’t need her first real visit until her last molar comes in which should be within the next six months.  Beautiful, one less thing I need to worry about!  I am so happy I have such a healthy, mostly well behaved girl.  I attribute the mostly well behaved part to her being a normal toddler, which also makes her highly entertaining.  My favorite thing that she does these days is when she wants to play with me or my mother.  She jumps and waves her arms while singing, “boo boo, boo boo!”  That is her version of the classic taunt, ‘nana nana boo boo’ which only makes it funnier when she does it. 

We went to our local YMCA when my mother got home so that we could exercise and Ashley could play with other kids.  I’m still sore even though I purposely lifted smaller amounts in an attempt to avoid it.  I am overweight and I need to start being more proactive about taking care of myself.  Now I’ll tell you another thing that drives me crazy is when I tell someone I am on a diet and they proceed to tell me I’m fine the way I am.  I’m sorry but no, I am not fine the way I am.  I am what doctors refer to as borderline obese, and it is only going to get worse if I don’t do something about it.  I think my weight problems started around the third grade due to circumstances beyond my control.    I weighed about 135 pounds, which with my height nearing 6 feet maybe me look anorexic.  The truth is that at 15 years old, I was just a little overweight at 185 pounds.  I started working at McDonalds and I lost 50 pounds inside of six months because I went from sedentary to very active almost overnight.  My ‘diet’ failed within a year after I began dating Alberto because he is a home body and gained almost all of the weight back.  The funny thing is that although Alberto is a few inches shorter than me, we have always weighed the same amount. 

Speaking of Alberto, he called me tonight.  Now we get to see how the phone system the jail uses measures up.  As long as this call cost me less than $10, we’re coming out ahead!  On Monday we’ll go and see Alberto again at jail and talk about which other family members he is going to put on his list so that they can visit him.  As far as I know, they require visitors to have federal or state ID which would make Gisela unable to visit.  I’m not sure exactly who of the family has ID, so I’ll have to ask on Monday before we go visiting.  It felt so good to hear his voice.  I really took it for granted that when he was in Mexico I could call him anytime.  It was one of the few things that were keeping me sane through this whole mess.

So I have a few goals I am working on: losing weight, gaining control of my financial situation again, and finding a permanent job.  I feel bad about looking for another job, but I just can’t wait and see what happens anymore.  I really like where I am working.  The people are great, the work is satisfying, my supervisor is wonderfully understanding, and the pay is… direct deposited.  I wish I could say the money was adequate, but because of my goal of financial stability I have to be honest and say I was better off unemployed sadly enough.  I was literally going insane from being at home all day with my father, but I didn’t have the additional expenses that come with working full time.  After taxes I still make more at my job, but with gas and daycare figured in I definitely come out behind.  When I say I’m living the dream, what I mean is I’m desperately trying to get out of the vicious cycle of living paycheck to paycheck.  Some dream right?  Well I have to start somewhere and I certainly can’t go back to school so I need to work with what I got.  On this happy note, I’m off to bed.  Sweet dreams!



Ciao




Spanish words/phrases from this post:
mugre: dirt
flor: flower


No comments:

Post a Comment