Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blood sucking financial institutions


Today is the day I decided to look for a new bank for our joint accounts.  I have absolutely had enough of Wells Fargo’s porquerías.  I am being charged $10 a month for letting the bank hold onto MY money?  On top of that their telephone customer service is appalling, and the bankers at the branches are not always all that much better.  They are a soulless community of leaches that heartlessly attach themselves to the wallets of the less fortunate.  They’re like chupacabras only instead of blood; they suck your wallet dry.  Wells Fargo was not my choice, but it was the only bank I knew of at the time that could accommodate us since Alberto doesn’t have status in the United States.  Lizzy said that she and her husband have accounts through Us Bank, and it appears they are less evil than Wells Fargo so I’m going to look into switching.  If anyone else knows of a bank that does the same, please let me know since I love having options!

I use a Credit Union for my personal accounts that I use to pay the bills and I think I would go crazy without them.  Why choose a Credit Union you ask, well I would be more than happy to tell you!  My number one reason is that Credit Unions are serving you, not some nameless board of directors looking to line their pockets with your hard earned money.  I love having my checking and savings account FREE, and that it only took the price of a share ($5) to join.  I also get free checks, but that may be because I have been a member so long.  I walk into the Credit Union and one of the tellers will greet me by name and ask me about my daughter and husband.  When my mom had her checkbooks stolen several years ago, Leah noticed that the signature did not match and stopped all the checks from being honored.  My mom did not have to pay for any special service, and it did not cost her anything to get the situation squared away even though the culprit was never found.  How cool is that?  Leah has known me since I was 8 or thereabouts, and I miss her dearly since she transferred to another branch.  Melissa is my go-to gal these days and she is always willing to go the extra mile to help me out in my time of need.  If I am ever too far away from my branch when I need to complete a transaction, I simply go to a CU Service Center and they will help me free of charge.  How many people can say that about their bank?

Today I called Noemi in Cuidad Juarez to see about getting Alberto’s suitcase sent up here.  I can never have a short conversation with her so I try to call when I have time to chat.  She apologized profusely for not calling me back about the suitcase.  She said that Agustin went around to a few different companies in CDJ to price it out, and the total hovered around $120 to $150 US.  He then crossed over to El Paso and did some checking on that side of the border.  Can you guess what the prices were in Texas?  They told him they could send it to me for $30 to $40 US.  Now I am in the process of finding out the best method to send Agustin the money for the rent owed and to pay for the suitcase to be sent to me.  I have his bank information (which is what prompted my pending divorce with Wells Fargo) but since it’s a local Texas Bank I’ll have to call them in the morning to get a better idea of my options.  I guess Western Union has a transfer option to an individual’s bank, but the terms and conditions for the service make me kind of wary.  I might have to call a few other money sending services and see what else is out there.

Apparently my father-in-law, Cesar, called me late last night.  I talked to Gisela and she confirmed that the phone I missed a call from was Cesar’s in Mexico.  I imagine he was calling to talk about his son, however he most have been drinking based on the fact that he called me and not Gisela.  There is one aspect in which Alberto and Cesar are very much alike; they don’t talk much if at all.  Alberto talks to me, which Gisela state is a sign of how much he loves me.  Cesar on the other hand usually doesn’t say anything to me above the regular small talk unless he’s been drinking.  I’m not sure if this is because of the animosity I feel towards him which I don’t seem to be able to hide, or if it’s something else.  If you wonder about my feelings towards Cesar, just realize that it’s justified and I talked about it in a previous entry albeit briefly.  It saddens me to think that Cesar has reverted to form and is no longer concerned with his health.  It did remind me that I need to talk to Alberto about the car and what he wants to do about it.  Hopefully I remember next time he calls or when I go to visit.  Maybe I’ll write myself a note.  I think I can have paper in my pocket during a visit…

I send emails to both attorneys today.  I’m hoping Lance does a little fancy footwork with immigration to find out what needs to be done to get Alberto paroled into the United States so we can look at arguing for a reasonable bail or electronic monitoring.  I put the idea in his head a week or two ago about the electronic monitoring option, maybe that would help sway immigration to pretend they have a heart.  Brian said that I need to start making payments to him to avoid delaying the case.  That’s fine, he just needs to get me a statement and his first check is in the mail.  I can’t afford much, but $75 bi-weekly as long as I’m consistent making those payments was good enough by his book.  I am just thanking God at this point that Brian’s retainer was paid before Alberto left for Mexico in October of 2008 since it was 2k and had to be paid in full before he would work on the case.  I think Brian was hesitant to say anything about it to me since he was around when I flipped out over the way Lance handled our bill with him.  For the record, Lance demanded that I pay 1/3 of the bill before he would help us anymore 2 days after I was laid off in the beginning of December and then to be paid in full less than a month later while I was still unemployed.  I literally saw red for weeks after each demand, but I have to say Lance been less of a jerk since he was paid.  That reminds me that I owe him another $175 or so for the packet they sent to CDJ back in March.  I love paying for copies on top of expensive FedEx service and a prepaid envelope that the Consulate never actually used.  I’ll have to send an email out to the Senator’s office and see if he might be able to inspire the USCIS to find some speck of humanity and release the hold without bail they have against Alberto.

I used to think that this will never end, but then I look at back at everything that led up to this point and I see how all the ducks got into their neat little row.  I look at our separation and now I see the opportunity for Alberto to grow into a better man for his daughter.  I look at the time we just went with the flow and now I see the work that I completed to get us ready for this situation.  I look at the unfortunate career choices I made and now I see a path that led me to where I am now surrounded by wonderful people on a daily basis.  I look at all the time that was lost and now I see all the time I had to get the strength for the battle yet to come.  I look at the financial meltdown and now I see the lessons I had to learn to get myself out of that mess.  I look at the people that trickled into our lives and now I see a stronger, better support system with people that truly care what happens to us.  I look at yesterday and now I see a better tomorrow.  I am no longer blinded to the possibilities because my faith has been restored.



He who has faith has... an inward reservoir of courage, hope, confidence, calmness, and assuring trust that all will come out well - even though to the world it may appear to come out most badly.
B. C. Forbes



Ciao


Spanish words/phrases from this post:
Porquerías: filth, rubbish, bullshit
Chupacabras: a mythical predator that drains its animal victims of blood, literally says ‘goat sucker’


No comments:

Post a Comment