Saturday, June 25, 2011

Change may be on the horizon


I just want to say this once:  We should lock the legislators together in a small room with only a bathroom until they have solved Minnesota’s budget to avoid a disastrous governmental shutdown.  Both Ashley and I have health insurance through the state, what in the hell are we going to do if the government shuts down?  What if we get sick or sustain an injury which requires medical care?  I guess we’ll be SOL, but that’s not even the worst of the matter.  What about the people who depend on WIC or EBT to provide enough food for their families?  What about the people who need Section 8 just to afford safe housing?  The legislators have already made sure that they will get a paycheck through a shutdown, but what about the working poor within in the governmental sector?  Who is going to help the government workers who will be out of a job and unable to pay their bills or buy groceries?  I’m not just talking about the secretaries and clerks either.  You have to consider the police, sheriff, correctional officers, parole officers, postal workers, sanitary workers, and county courthouses are all government run entities which will be negatively impacted by a shutdown.  My biggest fear surrounding the budget standoff here in Minnesota is what will happen to our criminal proceedings if the government experiences a shutdown? 

This was brought on by an email I received from Brian just a few hours ago.  It was a forward from the County Attorney’s office which stated that the Discovery was available for pick up on our case.  The Discovery is a process of obtaining and exchanging information between the prosecutor and the defendant both before and during a trial.  In our case, the Discovery will tell us about the strength of the case the prosecutor has built against Alberto and will help us to make a decision as to which path we should take.  After the Discovery has been reviewed is typically when the defendant will attempt a plea agreement to obtain a reduced sentence for the crime they have been accused of.  I am praying with all my might that Alberto will not have to plead guilty for a reduced sentence and conviction just to avoid the dire consequences of a guilty verdict from a trial.  Alberto did not in any way, shape, or form commit a crime let alone what he is being accused of so having to plead guilty to save himself would be demoralizing in the extreme.  We’ve talked about this hundreds of times and he is prepared to do whatever the best option is.  He has turned to God in this hour of need and his renewed faith has brought him peace.  If Alberto is found guilty of a felony, he may never be able to obtain legal status within the United States and in fact be barred from reentry for LIFE.  Está gacho te digo… 

Judy at work had Jury duty on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.  We managed to get along without her, but it was nowhere near as smooth as it could’ve been.  When she got back on Thursday, she told us about what it was like to be on a jury for a trial and I’ve got to say it sounds pretty interesting.  Anyway, imagine my surprise when I arrived home to see a letter from my county’s courthouse.  Hear I was thinking that it was from the County Attorney again offering to help me obtain child support from Alberto (no really, they actually sent me a letter saying they would help me collect child support), when I opened it.  I stood there in the kitchen, completely dumbfounded by the letter I was holding in my hand.  I have been officially summoned to serve Jury Duty at the end of July!  That is, of course, if in the event of a government shutdown the county court systems are still up and running.  What are the odds of that happening the same week Judy came back from serving jury duty herself?  When I got to work on Friday I told Judy it was all her fault and thrust the letter into her hand.  She was incredulous at the idea that I would be called to serve the same week she served her duty.  The look on her face was priceless.

Friday I was struck by a raging case of tonta.  I swear I’m not sure how I made it through the day without inadvertently frying the computer system or something equally dire.  I asked every dumb question known to data processing, such as any question I managed to answer myself the very second I verbalized the problem.  My personal favorite was when I spent several minutes looking for a ‘check’ that would have been attached to a registration form had they not provided their credit card number.  Since I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with the same solution, I didn’t say anything about it so only my dear readers here know about it.  I felt like I needed to write ‘I’m stupid’ on a post-it note and tape it to my forehead so that people would stop asking me questions.  Luckily with Judy there for the morning and Kristy for the rest of the day hardly anyone came up to me anyway.  I’m just a lowly data processing peon in the hierarchy of the non-profit world. Woe is me. I’m still gearing up for an actual job search which I plan on beginning on or shortly after July 1st. I still feel like I need to stay with this company for as long as possible so I don’t leave them high and dry during the busiest season of the year, but I also can’t leave the job pursuit to the last second. Apparently, since I am currently employed, I am a much more attractive job candidate. I have deduced this for the sheer number of phone calls and emails I get on a weekly basis in response to my resume at various websites.

Well this week has turned out to be more interesting than advertised.  I haven’t gotten anything that I planned on doing started, and even managed up put myself a little up the creek in the process.  I am completely out of my medication as of tomorrow and it is only by a stroke of luck that I know someone who is on the same medication as me.  My dear Lizzy, bless her soul, is taking Wellbutrin at half the dose I take.  She gave me two of her pills which should keep the head splitting migraines and other withdrawal symptoms at bay until I can get a refill from my doctor on Monday.  I love how the Wellbutrin has helped me move past the debilitating sadness and overwhelming anxiety I felt before I started medicating again.  I still get sad and anxious at times, but I am better able to control how I handle these emotions.  The emotional rollercoaster I have dealt with for years has calmed down considerably and I have to give the credit to my doctor who had to convince me to try medicating again.  After my previous experience with Celexa which robbed me of my ability to feel emotions and my motivation to do anything, it took a lot of research and presentation to convince me to give it a shot.  I feel alive and capable again for the first time in years.  That is, when I don’t forget to take the pill in the morning which causes migraines within hours of missing a dose.

I need to figure out how I am going to send the money to Noemi and Agustin in Cuidad Juarez.  I don’t feel comfortable with sending the money to their bank account by Western Union since they offer no guarantees of any sort.  When I called the bank in an attempt to verify I had the correct routing number, they told me that they couldn’t help me if the account holder wasn’t also on the line.  I think I’ll call Agustin tomorrow and see if he can manage to get to a Western Union or a Money Gram so we can do it that way.  I want to get Alberto’s suitcase up here as soon as possible so that I can take him clothes at the jail so he has something appropriate to wear for the trial instead of his jumpsuit.  
I’m still hoping to hear from Lance about the situation with immigration.  I wonder if we can arrange Alberto to be seen by an immigration judge to be granted parole while the criminal case is pending.  They were going to do it for us back in 2008, so I don’t see why they would deny it this time around.  I still have to send an email out to the Senator’s office and see if he can help us out a little this time.  Maybe I’ll compose something right now.  At least immigration is a Federal institution so a state shutdown would have no effect on them.



"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced."

-James Baldwin




Ciao


Spanish words/phrases from this post:
Está gacho te digo:  It’s (bad/nasty/ugly/horrible) I tell you
Tonta:  silly, foolish, stupid (not vulgar or overly strong)



No comments:

Post a Comment