Monday, June 20, 2011

Interesting revelations

This weekend was rather unexciting to tell you the truth, but sometimes these are the best weekends of all.  I had to work on Saturday which isn’t terribly fun, but you have to make the most of what is given to you.  We managed to get caught up on the registrations for programs starting on Monday, and for any registrations that were turned in late for last week.  I didn’t encounter too many problems overall which always puts me in a good mood since that streamlines my data entry.  The most irritating thing we came across all day was 4 registrations that came with a cover letter from a woman that referred to herself in the third person.  Why this woman couldn’t write out what she needed in plain English is beyond me, but based on the writing I would say she most likely works in the law firm and doesn’t understand the concept of grammar.  It took a broad interpretation of the letter in conjunction with the completed registrations by no less than three individuals in order to construe what exactly it was that she was trying to say.  This is why education needs more support to help people succeed in life!

I ended my shift well satisfied with the amount of work I had completed.  I also managed to catch up on the hours I had been missing during the week without working more than 4 hours!  If Deza doesn’t work 40 hours, then Deza doesn’t get paid 40 hours and that makes Deza very sad indeed.  I can’t afford to miss work because I’m already living paycheck to paycheck. 

On Friday night I took the advice of the Dental Assistant we saw on Thursday regarding the pacifier problem.  She said that other parents had told her that cutting a small sliver off the tip of the pacifier was enough to make the child reject it in most cases because it wouldn’t ‘work’ anymore.  She was 100% correct and I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen the results myself!  I hid all but one of the pacifiers just in case Ashley had a meltdown and then I cut the remaining plug.  I sterilized it and gave it to Ashley at bedtime.  She put it in her mouth, took it out and said, “Mamí no sirve!” then threw the pacifier across the room. She pouted for a good 10 minutes when I mysteriously didn’t have another one for her, and went to bed with the cut pacifier.  I found it on the other side of the room from her crib the next morning.  Tonight is the second night without giving her the plug at all and whenever she asks for it I tell that the pacifier doesn’t work.  For every 4 nights she goes without the pacifier, I’m going to throw one out until only the cut one is left.  This was so much easier than the last time I tried to do away with the chupon.

Today we didn’t do too much.  Ashley came downstairs early in the morning again so she slept with me a while.  When she decided it was time to wake up, she wanted to watch cartoons, which was fine with me.  I turned on TPT and saw THE CAT IN THE HAT KNOWS A LOT ABOUT THAT for the first time ever.  What a riot!  This was almost as good as my favorite shows of all time, The Muppet Show and Sesame Street.  Maybe I shouldn’t start talking about the Muppets or I’ll be stuck at the computer all night long.  I own seasons 1 and 2 of the Muppets, and now is probably a good time to look for a deal on other collections.  Actually I just did and it appears the best deal is Wal-Mart using the ship to store feature.  I can live with paying $21.96 versus $39.99 for another collection of my favorite show!  Not only that, but according to muppetcentral.com, Season 4 should be coming out on DVD this year!  This is too much excitement for me this late at night, so I’ll just have to make a reminder to look at my financials later in the week and decide if I can buy it now.

After breakfast, Ashley and I went to Sam’s Club with my mom to get the essentials.  If I’m going to buy diapers, I have to do it in bulk so at least I pay less per diaper.  Today we switched from Pampers which Ashley has used since birth to Sam’s Club brand.  I saved $10 on a case of diapers while getting 4 diapers more than normal.  In these hard times every penny counts, even though $10 is not even a quarter of a tank of gas.  After Sam’s Club, Ashley and I went to a few different stores looking for some sandals for her to wear with the flower girl’s dress for my cousin Rae’s wedding.  I just couldn’t find any off-white sandals, and the sandals I saw were all wedges.  I’m sorry but why in the world are they making little girl sandals with a heel/wedge over an inch tall?  I’m a 26 year old professional female and I can’t walk in heels over an inch tall!  Well I bought the sandals just in case we don’t find anything more reasonable before the wedding, she can always wear regular shoes after the ceremony and pictures.  I found another pair of shoes that were so cute, but they just wouldn’t go with an off-white dress.  They are Rocketdog Mary Janes in black Thai silk; the model is ‘memories’.  They make them in adult shoes, but Rocketdog is a brand known for having exceedingly narrow shoes which doesn’t go over with people like me with wider than average feet.  It is really too bad since they are nice looking shoes.

After I made the purchases, we came home and Ashley went straight to bed for her nap.  Not even a peep out of her for 4 hours, but she has always been an excellent napper.  By this time I had a throbbing headache which made me realize I forgot my medication this morning.  Ni modo since I can’t take it after 10 in the morning without having worse side effects.  The only thing I can do when this happens is take two asprin and have a nap myself.  I slept for about an hour and woke up on my own without a headache.  Score!  I didn’t get the cleaning done that I was hoping to do, but since Kay will be here tomorrow making a mess out of the family room anyway it wasn’t all that important.  I had nachos for an afternoon snack since I wasn’t hungry enough for lunch then I puttered around on the internet updating my resumes and online profiles.  Now that July is almost here I have to prepare for the end of my employment with the non-profit at the end of the summer season.  I can’t wait around and hope that I’ll be offered full time.  I know at this point that employers find someone with a job much more attractive than someone out of work for whatever reason.

Alberto called during dinner and we wished him a happy Father’s Day.  Ashley even talked to him for a few minutes and told him that she loved him.  I know it did him good to hear that from her.  After dinner Ashley and I went for a walk with my mom.  I’m happy that I have a good relationship with my mom since I’ve gotten older.  We got to talking about financial things and looking for a permanent position when I mentioned that I had seen more employment application paperwork lying around lately for my dad.  Dad has been out of work for 2 years and 6 months at this point.  His unemployment benefits ended about a month ago so my parents are hurting trying to make ends meet.  I know dad is depressed because he feels worthless as a non-contributing member of the family, but I haven’t seen him do much to change that either. 

Anyway, at my comment about the application paperwork, mom said that was her doing.  Since I was curious, I asked why.  She said that she’d told dad if he didn’t get cracking and find a job she would divorce him.  Mom said that a marriage is a partnership and both people need to contribute or the void would destroy what was there.  She said that she could not and would not support him so he could do nothing but sit around all day.  She is not making enough money to cover all the bills and their savings are not going to last forever.  He needs to do something, anything, or she was going to find a lawyer.  My mom was dead serious so I hope for his sake he gets his act together and finds a job.  This is about survival, not about finding a job that is fulfilling or within your field.  Dad has been talking about retiring since he ‘couldn’t’ find a job, but guess what?  If you’re not 61 and 9 months old, you don’t get squat.  Dad is only 59 as of a few months ago, so he better hustle.

Another happy ending to yet another blog post.  Hopefully I’m not plagued by the same weird dream I had during my nap today.  I’ll have to look at my dream oraculum to see what it meant since that book is so entertaining.  Sometimes it’s spooky how spot on the hidden meaning is.  Maybe I’ll include an example in tomorrow’s post!



Ciao



Spanish words/phrases from this post:
No sirve: (it) doesn’t work
chupon: pacifier
Ni modo: oh well, whatever

No comments:

Post a Comment