Friday, June 21, 2013

And then the phone rang...

I very rarely get phone calls, which probably has something to do with my hatred of talking on the phone, so whenever my phone rings I typically let it go to voicemail. This also serves the purpose of allowing me to screen my calls so I can avoid whichever collection agency is trying to contact me. Fools – you can’t collect from someone that doesn’t have any money. The only problem with this practice is my cell phone does not like dialing numbers or allowing me to access my call log; it routinely freezes or force-closes whenever I wish to call someone that is not in my contacts. I’m sure you can imagine the sense of panic I feel when the voicemail of a screened call is so important that I need to call the individual back immediately. Today was one of those times.

My phone rang and I almost answered it. It was a Washington D.C. area code, a fact I was aware of due to my previous experience with the CISOMB office. After a few moments of debate, I decided that letting it go to voicemail is the best course of action. If it was the government, I would be forewarned and if it was some other entity I probably didn’t want to talk to them anyway.

The message was from a woman with a clipped accent who identified herself as Lara, the Acting Chief for the Humanitarian and Family Section of the CISOMB office. I immediately began taking notes so I could consider what I would say when I called her back. She stated that she wanted clarification as to what was really going on and how the CIS Ombudsman office could help. Holy crap! I immediately printed off a copy of our timeline and the receipts I had for each filing in case she wanted those receipt numbers. I went in search of my supervisor so I could secure somewhere quiet to call her back from, and to let her know I may be on the phone for several minutes. I was directed to ask the receptionist of the corporate side of our building to see if there was an open office I could use for my phone call and she led me back to the executive suite. The executive secretaries offered the office of our Chief Operating Officer, a man who is one step down from the CEO himself, for me to make my phone call in private.

I sat at his desk, with the warning to not move anything still ringing in my ears, and attempted to call Lara back. For several minutes I fought with my cell phone, trying to dial or access my call log without success. I finally gave up and used the phone on the desk to make my call. This is probably one of the only phone lines in the building I could use to make a long distance call without having to answer 300 questions and complete forms in triplicate, but I intended to keep it as short as possible just in case. To my surprise Lara answered by the third ring. I introduced myself and asked her what information would be the most helpful to her.

Lara asked for my family’s story; our timeline, our process, and our current situation for which I was requesting assistance. I made sure to check off the individual steps that were taken as well as providing the month and year for reference purposes. I began our story with the filing of the I-130, mentioned Alberto was granted Voluntary Departure, glossed over the criminal/warrant issue, our hurried motion to reopen, Alberto’s departure, and the approval notice we received after it was already too late. I alluded to the time that had passed before the involvement of Senator Franken's office and the rapid I-130 approval. I referenced financial hardship prior to filing the DS-230, visa appointment, RFE for the warrant, and the second major intervention of senator Franken's office. I moved on to the arrest, parole, and extradition of Luis. At no point did I mention what the criminal charges were or what he was finally convicted of, if Lara really wanted to know she had the resources to discover that information for herself.

I continued with the transition from criminal proceedings to the drawn out battle with immigration. I briefly mentioned immigration hearings 1-4 and addressed hearing 5 as when they finally admitted to losing the parole paperwork. I discussed gathering information for filing the application to adjust status and waiver of inadmissibility, the delays we experienced trying to schedule a medical exam, and the denial.

I fully admit that my voice cracked with emotion, as any sane person would've when talking about the worst day of their life. I had to force the words out about waiving the right to appeal and why we decided to go that route instead of appealing. The strength returned to my voice as I spoke of the recent delays, redirects, misinformation, and frustration of the last 6 months. Lara told me she would begin by contacting Diana in Senator Franken’s office to see how she would best be able to help. Lara said a collaboration of efforts between CIS and the senator’s office would help to avoid confusing or accidentally redirecting USCIS. It is my impression that she sincerely wants to help us and I hope with all my heart that she can.



Lara emailed me before the end of business today to let me know she left a voicemail for Diana and would let me know as soon as she knew how she would best be able to help us. Please God, I need this torture to end…



Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment