Saturday, November 19, 2011

Change will commence in…

Here we are again on the precipice of change only this time I don’t know exactly what to expect and that scares me.  Alberto’s probation officer called me on Wednesday to talk to me about him.  I didn’t expect her to have so many questions and I hope I was able to create a picture of my husband clearly in her mind.  The probation officer was personable and soft-spoken and I definitely hadn’t expected that so I suppose I told her more than she expected.  I talked about our relationship and how like any normal couple we’ve had our disagreements, but we always talk it through.  I’ve never been afraid of Alberto nor do I believe him to be capable of violence.  I acknowledged that my brother-in-law Caña is a volatile, violent man and I had never signs of the same behaviors in Alberto.  We discussed his use of alcohol and I described Alberto as a social drinker who knows his limit.  She asked about his temperament, if he had any mental illnesses, would I trust him with our daughter and other questions along the same line.  Then at the end of all this, she wanted to know why Alberto left the country in 2008.  I gave her the full story, with nothing omitted, though I could hear the pain in my own voice.  I spoke of the race to keep Alberto here to face the charges, his compliance with the orders of the immigration judge, and the painful kick in the gut when we received that approval a day too late.  I spoke of the battle to get our case processed by the USCIS and the invocation of my *favorite* Senator that finally gave us results.  I spoke of the anticipation of the visa appointment, and the gut wrenching pain when he was denied the second appointment.  I offered to bring in the documentation for her review to which she replied it wasn’t necessary, but this information was extremely important to her and his case.

The probation officer told me to expect Alberto to receive a stayed sentenced for the minimum possible; one year plus 1 day.  He would have 5 years of probation with no conditions imposed because this charge, though a felony, was still minor in nature.  She stated that any time he was still in jail for on the immigration hold would count towards his criminal sentence and if he served 2/3 of his sentence by the time we were able to obtain his release from immigration’s grasp, his obligation to Hennepin County would have been fulfilled. 


Alberto’s answers to the probation officer reflected his faulty memory as expected, but his answers still surprised me a bit.  He told his probation officer we had met in 2004 (it was 2001) and got married in 2008 (it was 2007).  I guess I should be happy he got Liliana’s birthday right since he’s usually off by a few days.    Due to the fact that Alberto is not a talkative person, he is not a good storyteller and has trouble explaining things accurately.  The probation officer was confused about numerous issues before she spoke with me.  I am hoping that Court on Monday goes as expected.



“Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.”
Blaise Pascal



Ciao

2 comments:

  1. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers Deza. I pray everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly appreciate it. I did a new post with the outcome - hopefully it's understandable :/

    ReplyDelete