Friday, July 22, 2011

We have normality…


I wasn’t expecting the peace treaty to last this long, but discord has been restored to my life.  Forgive me for not jumping for joy and, might I add, it was not my fault!  I have deliberately avoiding talking about anything remotely connected to the case because Alberto gets upset when I have words with his madre querida.  I’m sorry Caro, but Gisela is so pessimistic about everything that I never walk away unaffected.  I am always enraged when she attempts to force her opinion down my throat with her incessant preaching.  Today it was about the criminal case again and I tried to end the conversation and leave several times but she just kept talking.  I tried telling her that I could not talk about the case with her anymore because it upsets me.  Her response was to tell me it upsets her too and to continue pontificating about it!  She kept saying I need to make sure I tell the attorney this is what happened and that she knows how it started.  She knows better than Alberto who was actually present, and all of the witnesses have got it all wrong.  She is adamant that the justice system here is just as crooked as Mexico and we will soon see her innocent son locked away for good.  Now do you see why I generally avoid her even though acknowledging that I do so makes me feel like a bad nuera?  Avoiding Gisela irritates my darling husband and I simply can’t bear it when he’s mad at me.

What in the bloody hell is she basing this opinion of our justice system on anyhow?  Is it the fact that her innocent son Caña was ‘falsely’ convicted and sentenced to 4 years in prison for assault?  Maybe she’s referring to the time Caña was ‘accused’ of hitting Roscio while she was holding their child, you know despite the fact we all witnessed that particular incident.  Then there was the time that Caña tried to hit his sister Liz with a beer bottle and had to be restrained by force until the police showed up to arrest him?  Four years ago Alberto showed me some papers because he wanted to know what they were.  It was a restraining order filed by Roscio against Caña during her smarter days.  I surely cannot comprehend how such a sterling example of honorability and manhood could have possibly done what he was locked up for.  My mother-in-law acknowledges that her son deserves to be in jail for the things he’s done in his life, just not for beating the hell out of Nemesio.  Someone once said that ‘logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence’.  If you use that definition, then Gisela is quite logical.

Other problems have arisen these last few days with interesting results.  Ashley has not been napping at Gisela’s and I honestly don’t think she’s even trying anymore.  The minute the car starts moving Ashley is nodding off.  I don’t even try to keep her awake anymore by talking to her, apparently she more sleep that badly so I let her sleep.  I bring her in the house and lay her on the couch in the living room and she doesn’t make a sound as she curls up on her side.  After dinner, she’s still sound asleep and I take a few mild attempts to wake her to eat with no avail.  I take her down and lay her in her bed at around 8:30 where she whimpers for a few moments until I tuck her puppy under her arm and lay her cobija over her.  I’ve even changed her diaper and she doesn’t wake up at all.  Last night and the night before I have woken up to an interesting new sound: Ashley snores albeit delicately.  Usually she wakes me up when she attempts to climb onto the bed, but now I’ve been waking to her curled into my side with her arm and leg thrown over me.  At least she isn’t pitching a fit or demanding to be fed at 3 am.

I almost forgot to talk about the near fight during social hour on Monday.  For some reason heat makes people lose their damn minds, but Monday night almost got out of hand.  I was in a bad mood when I arrived because it was hot, I was sticky, and Ashley was sleeping in my arms.  I wanted the whole line of people to move down so I could sit, but instead someone offered me a seat near the front.  Ashley woke up in a good mood thankfully and the minutes marched on in a decidedly slow manner.  At about 10 minutes to 6 pm, I suggested we all start lining up by the door since budging was becoming a problem.  A younger woman in her mid to late 20’s had spent most of her time out in the hall talking on her cell phone, and came in to take her spot in line.  She was wearing the dress/veil combination that is popular in the Somalian/Islamic community, over 6 feet tall, and looked like it had been a bad day.  The crotchety old woman had pushed her way in front of me and started heckling the girl whom she accused of budging.  The girl was there before I was and the old woman came after me as we all attested to defuse the situation.  The girl said, “Look at me!  Do you see how I am dressed?  You should be able to see that I don’t give a fuck what you think!”  The old woman responded angrily, “I see how you’re dressed and I see how you act.  This is why we Americans don’t trust your asses!”  Just as it looked like this was going to come to blows, the girl took another phone call and told old lady she could have her spot.  The old lady started shrieking like a harpy that she didn’t want HER spot, and spouted several racially charged insults after the girl was almost out of hearing range.  At this point I was angry because this is exactly the kind of bullshit Ashley doesn’t need to deal with.  I pinned the old woman with potent glare and said, “You are an ADULT, why don’t you grow the hell up and ACT like one?”  She continued grumbling how she was an adult and yadda yadda yadda.  Did I mention the old woman was proclaiming her pride to be of the Cherokee Nation and that she was taught the old language by her parents and grandparents not 10 minutes before all this happened? 

I’m going to have to figure out if I’m going to visit Alberto on Saturday since Monday I’ll be stuck in Jury Duty.  I’m not sure if I want to be selected, or if I’d prefer they sent me home.  I still want to be at the omnibus hearing on Tuesday.



Que será será                 



Ciao


Interesting Spanish words/phrases from this post:
Madre Querida:      Beloved Mother
Caro:                     Pet name for Alberto  (short for Cariño)
Nuera:                   Daughter-in-law
Cobija:                  Blanket
Que será será:       What will be, will be

No comments:

Post a Comment