Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Insert Title Here


I took a half day at work today since I have to work on Saturday.  I can only work 40 hours in a given week so when I neglect to plan ahead for just this occasion, I end up with a half day instead of a full day off during the week.  I had plans at one point to meet some people for lunch, but when that fell through I had a backup plan that took the cake.  I made myself an appointment at Massage Envy and found heaven in an hour for $39 plus tax and tip.  The majority of the time was spent on my upper back and Sarah managed to beat my knots into submission.  I felt good for the first time in about two weeks!    After my massage was over and the sales girl was giving me her spiel about their membership program and my recommended wellness schedule, I reluctantly declined membership since $49 per month is not feasible.  See how low I have sunk that a paltry $49 per month is undoable?  Maybe if I go every three months the $65 per hour long session will seem like a good investment.

My next stop was lunch, and there was a Chipotle just down the strip calling my name.  I entered the restaurant and stopped cold right inside the door.  What the hell was the music they were playing?  It sounded more like new age instead of Mexican.  I approached the counter with apprehension.  What is this?  Where are all the Hispanic men and women that could correctly pronounce ‘carnitas’ and ‘barbacoa’?  It was then I remembered the reason I had avoided Chipotle for so long; the mass firings in December 2010 of the Latino workers who made Chipotle one of my favorite restaurants.  Where is the Hispana who chatted with the hugely pregnant white girl that spoke Spanish?  I even showed her baby pictures since I was there so often since Alberto had cravings for Chipotle at least once a week.  She is gone now, replaced by new workers who have sucked the joy out of my burrito. I have officially scratched Chipotle off my list of desirable fast-food options, and I will now have a moment of silence for my loss. ***SILENCE***  Ok, I’m done now.

I guess I’m a bit more than a little irritated with my brother-in-law Fortunato this evening.  It all started about three weeks ago that he asked me to have Alberto put his family on the visitor list.  That’s perfectly fine and I told him the list only has room for 4 people at a time and you must be on the list to visit.  Since he wanted to go on a Monday, it was decided that Yamile would go with him.  I really didn’t think I had to coddle him so he would visit Alberto in jail, but I guess I was wrong.  Apparently on that Monday that they were put on the visitor list, Fortunato and his daughter Yamile spent three hours waiting for me at Gisela’s house so that we could all go together.  I need to set the record straight on a few points which may require strong language to vent properly, so here goes.

If you want to carpool you need to say so, I am not a damn mind reader and I sure as hell don’t appreciate when you tell my mother-in-law that I’m the one that screwed up because you can’t pick up a phone and CALL me.  If for some reason you think that I should be somewhere and I’m not, there is this invention known as a ‘mobile telephone’ that is literally always within my reach.  I even own multiple batteries for my mobile telephone to avoid losing contact with friends and family.  Also, if you don’t communicate your plans then you shouldn’t expect us to leave you on the visitor list. Alberto has a lot of blood relatives in the US including: his mother, 4 of out 5 siblings, 10 nieces, 2 nephews, 1 great-nephew, his daughter, and his incredibly beautiful wife who all want to see him.  Fortunato, eres tonto if you really think we’re going to let you occupy the entire visitor list for multiple weeks when you make no effort to visit Alberto or communicate your desire to do so.  As far as I know, Alberto has no intention of taking me or Ashley off the list since we visit every week.

So what brought about my profound irritation with this particular brother-in-law?  Well we were about 10 minutes from the start of social visiting time when Fortunato, Yesica, Yamile, Anita, and Lisette all show up in their Sunday best.  I was shocked because I knew for a fact that Alberto had not talked to them or let them know they were on the list and Fortunato had been told by me personally that only 4 people were allowed on the visitor list at any given time.  I also told Yamile last Friday that Gisela and Daniela were on the list this week because they wanted to go with me on Monday to see Alberto.  I didn’t trust myself to speak to them in my mind frame, so I asked Daniela to tell Fortunato to ask the security guard up front if they were on the list.  If he didn’t think to call me or Gisela to make sure they were on the list before bringing his family all the way downtown, then he wasn’t going to understand if we told him that he wasn’t on the list.  He marched to the guard at the desk, and a few minutes later marched himself out of the building with his family in tow.  As irritated as I am with the whole situation, I keep hoping that Yesica is not mad at me. 

Ashley pitched a fit during our session with Alberto.  I genuinely think he was surprised that his ‘princess’ could throw such a spectacular tantrum.  Welcome to ‘Toddler World’ love, and this is not even the worst she’s ever been.  It was the culmination of no nap, waiting in an entryway for almost an hour, and cutting her last molar.  The tantrum came in handy since Alberto apparently described it in detail for his mother who now declares she will enforce a mandatory nap time whether Ashley likes it or not.  Thank you for the help Caro!  You accomplished in 5 minutes what I have been attempting to do for the last 4 months.  Alberto has always been so reasonable and dependable that Gisela takes him for his word immediately without question.  Ashley was so exhausted that she fell asleep on the way home and did not wake up when she was moved from her car seat to the couch or from the couch to her crib.  As my luck runs, she’ll be awake in an hour or two demanding ‘loop loops’.

It’s been a couple years since I’ve had to deal with a late night feeding, so I better shuffle myself off to bed.



“Do you see now?  You see what has happened here?  This is why my in-laws irritate the ever-loving crap out of me.” 
Deza Mendez @ Lizzy every 9 days or so



Ciao


Interesting Spanish words/phrases from this post:
Barbacoa:  A spicy, shredded beef slowly braised for hours.
Carnitas:  Pork that is braised until tender in a mixture of seasonings.  (and a personal favorite)
Hispana:  A woman of Hispanic descent
Eres tonto:  You are silly/foolish/stupid/idiotic -or– You are a(n) idiot/dummy/dink/clod-pole… etc…
Loop Loops: Ashley’s funny pronunciation of Fruit Loops


No comments:

Post a Comment