Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Is there a Doctor in the House?!


My worst nightmare came to pass; we had to bring Ashley to a doctor yesterday after passing what was probably the longest day of my life waiting for Alberto to come home.  Sunday night the diarrhea started, Monday morning I bought her Gatorade and started the BRAT diet, however by Tuesday afternoon she was burning with fever and refusing to eat because she felt like she was going to throw up.  Ashley, who is normally a ball of energy, was listless and spent most of the afternoon sleeping.  The Madrina came home first and stopped in to see me as was her habit and said we needed to bring her to the doctor as soon as Alberto got home.  We jumped on him the minute he walked through the door.

Ashley moaned and cried pitifully during the entire ride to the pharmacy that partnered with a doctor much like the Minute Clinics back in Minnesota.  We paid the 25 peso consultation fee and sat down in the uncomfortable plastic chairs to wait for the Doctor.  I could feel the heat radiating off her legs and Alberto recoiled in shock when I set his hand on her knee so he could feel it too.  Just then the Doctor came to the lobby to bring us back to the exam room.  As we sat talking to him about the symptoms and what she ate the last few days, Ashley continued to cry softly while poor Alberto broke into a sweat with each little noise she made.  The doctor focused on what she might have eaten asking very direct questions on whether she mostly ate chicken, pork, or beef and if we’d been anywhere outside of Mexico City.  I ran down a list of food I’d seen her eat, what she’d drank, and where we’d been including the meal we’d had at McDonald’s the other day much to my husband’s irritation.

I lifted her unto the exam table, and held her hand while the doctor pushed on her stomach.  He kept asking her if it hurt, and she kept answering in English that it hurt.  I told her to say ‘Si’ if it hurt, or ‘No’ if it didn’t so that he would understand her.  He asked her to stick her tongue out, and she complied before I could translate.  The diagnosis was a bacterial infection in her stomach, probably caused by the milk she had at Gisela’s house.  The Doctor scrawled on his pad a prescription for Clamoxin, another for Exofur, and the third for Bonadoxina.  The Doctor told us the bonadoxina was an injection that needed to be administered 15-30 minutes before any of the other drugs, because she would boot anything we tried to give her, and that she needed the shot every 12 hours or as needed for nausea.  If she continued to refuse food or drink, we would need to take her to the hospital because she was already severely dehydrated.  

I was very confused when no nurse appeared with a syringe for that initial shot, but when I looked to the Madrina for an explanation she indicated that I should not worry about it.  The Madrina explained to me on the way back to the house that the milk you get in the pueblitos was raw milk and usually from a cow down the street, which is probably what made her sick.  I gathered Ashley in my arms from the exam table and had Alberto sit in one of the chairs with her while I got the medications.  I passed the prescription form to the pharmacist and answered her questions about allergies and confirmed what the doctor had told us.  She passed me a plain white paper bag of medicine and I passed her the 77 pesos 50 centavos as payment.  All in all this escapade cost 102 pesos 50 centavos which Google tells me is equal to $8.35 USD. 

On our way back to the house I noticed we had a sterilized syringe in the bag along with the medications.  Surely they didn’t intend for me to give my child a shot.  When we arrived back at the house the Madrina went over to the neighbor’s house to see if their daughter, a Registered Nurse, was home.  Thankfully she was at home, and it was she that administered what had to have been the most painful injection my daughter had ever received.  While she was washing her hands she told me that it was going to be horrible because it was an oil-based medication and that Ashley was most likely going to throw up immediately afterwards.  Alberto brought over the trash can at my direction and I had him sit near her head so that he could hold her arms down.  He looked at me in confusion as he sat down, the poor man had never had to take a child to the doctor nor had he witnessed any vaccinations and so had no idea what was going to happen.

The nurse used the alcohol wipe on the area and I told Alberto to hold her down firmly and I took her legs.  It was done in seconds, but she screamed for at least 5 minutes after emptying her stomach.  I could see the tears in Alberto’s eyes as I gathered our weeping daughter in my arms and gently rocked her until her heart wretching sobs were nothing more than hiccups.  I let her sleep for a half an hour before waking her to take the medicine.  That was a lesson in frustration let me tell you.  She would not take the medicine until I suggested that we could take her to the Doctor for another shot if she wouldn’t take it.  It took 30 minutes, but she finally drank the two tiny cups of medicine.  I gave her crackers with some Gatorade and set her up with a movie while we ate some supper.  She was asleep in minutes.

It was the moment that Alberto finally understood what it takes to be a parent and everything that he had missed out on.  The empathy a parent feels for their child; the tears that burn in your eyes when they have to have a shot, fall and scrape their knee, or cry in terror at the monsters the absolutely believe live in their closet.  What a way to learn what it takes to be a father…



"Wait, are you trying to tell me that my TUESDAY curse struck AGAIN?!"
- Deza (after looking at the calendar)

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment