Monday, December 10, 2012

Radio Silence

I hate Mondays, but I’m sure by now I’ve made that perfectly clear. Today I’ve made an important decision; in order to preserve my sanity, I’m going to work my frustration off. I’m going to stick to my program (Couch to 5k) and make it work. I’m going to be sensible about my diet and simply avoid sugary snacks/drinks while adhering to a single serving on a modestly sized plate. Most importantly I’m going to practice a form of radio-silence and not discuss it on the Facebook page that my husband sees. I’m going to be quite sneaky about it and hide my shape whenever I see my in-laws, although my face and neck are a giveaway because they get more defined as I lose pounds. Why you ask? Well it’s because I’m going to be selfish for once. I want to see his jaw drop when I go to Mexico in February. I’ve never had the body of a model, but I’m going to have the best body I can manage.

The first week of the program started on December 4th and I discovered that I can handle it. Sure I was wiped out for an hour afterwards and that first day I was so tired, but the next day I felt better. I didn’t have any breathing problems (suck it exercise-induced asthma!) and I wasn’t wobbly from working harder than usual. I think I would have been setting myself up for failure had I not been working out 3 times a week on the machines at work. This program is set up to be 3 times a week for 7 weeks, so we’ll see just how well I progress. I’m not afraid to repeat a week if I think I need more time to get used to the jogging before advancing.

Saturday I kind of screwed up because I brought my phone with me for entertainment and lost track of my times. I’m supposed to warm up for 5 minutes, alternate jogging for 1 minute and walking for 1 1/2 minute for 20 minutes total, and follow up with a 5 minute cool down. On Saturday my warm up was almost 7 minutes long, so I did the jog/walk rotation for 20 minutes per the program, followed by a 1 1/2 minute run before the 5 minute cool down. It felt absolutely AMAZING to run. I got to lengthen my stride and actually run without having to compensate for my weak ankles and knees. My muscles were protesting against running and my hips hurt for an entire day afterwards, but it still was amazing.

This week is a 5 minute warm up, jogging for 1 1/2 minute and walking for 2 minutes for a total of 20 minutes, and followed by a 5 minute cool down. I’m going to make that last jog into a run and hope I get to watch the pounds drop off.



“Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it.”
Oprah Winfrey



Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment