Thursday, October 13, 2011

I could really use a wish right now…

So on Tuesday morning I received an email from the attorney that the Judge rescheduled our court date.  We’ve been pushed back a week because the prosecutor is mired in a murder trial right now that they expect to spill over into next week.  It was a relief really because now we have more time to prepare for the trial, meaning more time for Brian to get his shit together.  The witness interviews took place on Tuesday evening at 5 pm, though they did not go as I had expected.  David, my brother-in-law, asked me to be there for the interviews so that ‘esos güeys’ would actually show up for the interviews.  So I emailed Brian to let him know I would be there which prompted him to cancel the interpreter since I could provide the service for him.  I said that I wasn’t really comfortable with this and stated why, to which he responded “I just need a mouth piece.”  Seriously Brian, what the hell? 

The interviews went well and the witnesses are in sync with one another without having the same story (which would be the case if they were lying).  Alberto on the other hand, will not be allowed to testify during the trial because his story is too different from what the 3 amigos had to say.  I chalk this up to someone telling Alberto a couple of times how they think everything happened until he believed that’s what he witnessed; it’s actually an interrogation tactic that is proven to coerce false confessions from innocent people.  Alberto is very susceptible to suggestion and he can have a difficult time remembering facts which were pointed out during his psychologist evaluation that was required before his first visa appointment because he had an arrest record.  The psychologist asked him for dates and details of his arrests that Alberto doesn’t remember, so the psychologist asked if he should mark Alberto down as a retraso mental.  Alberto said that the psychologist was joking, and apparently he guy was very nice and actually friendly.

After the interviews I asked Brian point blank why I couldn’t get a statement from his firm.  He looked embarrassed and confessed that they could find no records of the payments I made in 2007 and 2008 because they had moved offices twice and misplaced paperwork in the process.  Since he is in the same suite the firm occupied back when we hired him I was rather surprised.  I told him that I didn’t think I’d paid more than $750 over the deposit before I quit making payments, and he said he would talk to his partner to see if they could accept that as a fact and move forward with payments.  He does remember receiving checks from me on a regular basis until May 2008 when I stopped paying because immigration was going nowhere fast.  I talked to a representative at my Credit Union since the carbons from the book of checks I made those payments with is nowhere to be found, to see what could be done.  My wonderful Credit Union would charge me $20 per hour to research the matter and $5 for each check copy they had to pull from the archives in order to see who it was payable to.  I’m hoping it won’t come to that, but if I find evidence which makes me think I paid more than $2750 it would be in my best interests to pursue the proof.  I’ve asked Lance to send me a statement of payments so maybe I can cross a bunch of checks off my list.

I got a letter in the mail yesterday from Alberto.  In that letter I finally got my apology for the incident from September 25th.  He said that he was sorry for being such a jerk that day and asked me to forgive him and have patience with him.  He felt like when he was ready to apologize that it was too late, but better late than never.  I bet this was prompted by the letter I sent a few days after the incident stating that I’m trying to be understanding because this whole situation is affecting him in way we didn’t anticipate which is making him short tempered and slightly unreasonable.  That I understand the reason behind his behavior doesn’t make the outbursts hurt any less.

I got to talk to Alberto tonight, but since I was still over at Gisela’s house, I wasn’t able to talk freely.  As much as I hate to admit it, I will not talk to my in-laws about anything important because I don’t know who will hear about it next.  My niece told me on Monday that her aunt told her grandmother who told her mom who told her that Adriana was saying things about my brother-in-law David on Facebook, like how he’s hooking up with Malvina again and how she thinks he has viejas on the side.  I was plain and upfront with my niece Anita when I told her that Rubí makes up 90% of what she says and you can’t go around talking about someone else’s life because it can hurt them.  I saw the Facebook posts in question and I can vouch for Adriana that she did NOT say what Rubí is saying to my suegra.  She is the worst chimosa of the Mendez family, and yet the other day she posted on Facebook about how sick she is of the hypocrites that love to spread lies about her and her life.  Gisela asked me about what Rubí had told her and I said it wasn’t true and that she knows how Rubí is and that you shouldn’t believe everything she says.  I’m going to suggest to Adriana that she 1) unfriend/block the Mendez family, or 2) learn to talk about nothing on her posts. My way of dealing with the linea chismosera is to cut out the worst of the pack, and speak of nothing personal outside of my inner circle.  I feel fortunate to have Rachel, Vanessa, and Alberto to talk to about what’s important in life.

We are back to double digits before the trial commences, 11 days to be exact.  God willing this extra time will allow for us to plan and prepare.



At times it is folly to hasten at other times, to delay. The wise do everything in its proper time.
         ~ Ovid



Ciao



Interesting Spanish Words/Phrases:

esos güeys                       those dudes/guys  
amigos                            friends
retraso mental                mentally retarded
viejas                             girlfriend, wife, whore (literally old women)
suegra                            mother-in-law
chimosa                          gossip

la linea chismosera         the gossip line

No comments:

Post a Comment