Monday, May 9, 2011

Immigration Timeline and Mother's Day


*** Immigration Timeline ***
Aug 1998: Alberto Entered the United States without Inspection
Nov 2007: Arrested and turned over the Immigration for Removal Proceedings
Dec 2007: Bailed out from ICE, Discovered Pregnancy, Married, Hired Attorney, Submitted I-130 Petition & I-129F Visa Application
Oct 2008: Petition to reopen immigration case submitted due to legal problem, Alberto took Voluntary Departure as ordered by Immigration Judge, Petition was approved, petition was then rescinded per Alberto was already out of the country
Mar 2010: Notice of Action 3, I-130 Petition Approved, Second trip to Mexico to see Alberto, Visa application delayed for lack of funds
Sep 2010: Visa Application Submitted to CIUDAD JUAREZ
Dec 2010: Visa appointment at CIUDAD JUAREZ for Alberto, USCIS Requesting Additional Documentation before will consider for Waiver

Feb 2008:  First Immigration Hearing, requested continuance
Mar 2008: Notice of Action 1, Received I-130 Petition, Resubmitted I-129F Visa Application
May 2008: Notice Of Action 2, Case set to Bloomington service center for interview
Aug 2008: Daughter Ashley was born.
Sep 2009: First letter to MN Senators and Representatives & President requesting assistance
Dec 2009: First trip to Mexico to see Alberto
Feb 2010: Second letter to MN Senators and Representatives & President requesting assistance, Inquiry made by Senator Franken to USCIS
Oct 2010: Notice of Visa appointment in CIUDAD JUAREZ for Alberto
Mar 2011: Additional proof and documents submitted to CIUDAD JUAREZ
Apr 2011: Contacted Senator Franken’s office for assistance, Phone call from CIUDAD JUAREZ to make second appointment for Alberto, Response from Senator Franken’s office, case was stalled as of March 30th for lack of information
***May 23, 2011 is the next appointment for Alberto in CIUDAD JUAREZ***

It is amazing to me just how long we have been battling immigration.  Every once in a while I wonder just what might have happened if we had already been married and filed the paperwork when Alberto was arrested.  Alberto had always said that he didn’t want to get married because ‘everyone’ would say he married me in order to fix his status in the United States.  My point of view was that we had already been dating for 6 years and living together at that point, so who the hell really cares about what other people think?  I have been dealing with the rude comments, stares, gossip, and inevitable dirty Mexican jokes from the very beginning.  People are cruel, and sometimes family more so than mere acquaintances.

This weekend we talked about the immigration appointment at Ciudad Juarez.  I’m not getting much of a response from the attorney which isn’t helping me to keep Alberto calm.  He’s really nervous and is terrified that he’s going to screw this up somehow.  Mostly right now he is irritated that he has to pay to travel to Ciudad Juarez, pay for housing for a few days, and then pay to return home without having assurance that we will be able to apply for the waiver.  This is an expensive trip that could be the end of the road for us.  We are not in a good position financially since I was laid off from my previous job back in December and Alberto has not been able to find consistent work while in Mexico.  I’m finally working again, but it’s a temporary position and it pays just enough to make ends meet.  Because of all this, I am sitting at the computer at 2 o’clock in the morning instead of sleeping.

I just want to say Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there.  I hope everyone had a wonderful, beautiful, stress-free day.  I’m a bit traumatized by the accident we had while out shopping this afternoon.  Ashley fell asleep in the stroller while I enjoyed myself walking around the mall and window shopping.  Then as we were leaving, Ashley flopped forward in her sleep and crashed into the ground right in front of her stroller.  It happened so quickly I didn’t have time to think!  I saw the movement of out the corner of my eye and my mom-dar had me inches away from catching her before she hit the ground.  I know I should have had her belted in the stroller, but she was already sleeping when I thought of it and I didn’t see the harm in letting her be.  The harm manifested as a bit of road rash on her temple, and a split lip.  I keep telling myself that it could have been worse if she hadn’t had her pacifier, but even that knowledge was little comfort.  I feel horrible that my little girl got hurt!  When I finished getting her cleaned up and she was calm, she patted my cheek and said, “It’s ok Mamí, it’s ok. Hugs?”  Thank God for little girls…




No comments:

Post a Comment