Sunday, May 15, 2011

A day of cleansing pain and whirling thoughts


Today was difficult to say the least.  This morning was the meeting of our Support Group for women who are married to Hispanic men, and it was my turn to tell the story of us.  I had prepared a story, thinking that if I could detach myself even a little bit I would be able to stay composed.  I minute I looked at the story typed neatly in my hand, I promptly burst into tears.  I told our story through a torrent of tears and emotional pain that I had no way of controlling.  I felt as though I was exposing my damaged soul for all to see, and for once I was not judged.  These women did not shut off their minds at the mention of undocumented immigration, or the situation that ultimately caused the dominoes to begin to fall.  They saw me as a survivor of a succession of shattering events.  They saw a family separated, a fatherless child.  They saw us, the Mendez family.  The simple kindness I was shown as gone a long way to restore my faith in people, and I have to thank my case manager for leading me to this group.

One of the women brought her son who was only 7 weeks old.  He is such a beautiful little boy with big eyes, and Ashley spent a significant amount of time kneeling and watching him.  Every time I looked over and saw Ashley, I couldn’t help but think to myself that Ashley was that size when Alberto left the United States. 
After the meeting, we came home and had lunch.  Ashley went down for a nap and I contented myself with a book even though I had a pounding headache.  When my parents returned from the grocery store, I left to obtain ingredients for my potluck offering on Tuesday.  I am going to make Chocolate Truffles, the ultimate indulgence.  I use the recipe for ‘Black Tie Truffles’ on Kraft.com, so feel free to give it a try.  I will warn you that the ganache will melt the second you touch it, so any attempt to roll the ganache into balls results in a huge mess.  I pour the mixture into silicon molds and freeze it.  Then I removed the molded ganache and top the creation with coco powder, powdered sugar, colored sugar, or chocolate drizzle depending on how artistic I’m feeling.

Ashley was 8 weeks old on that unbearable day that we took her Papa to the airport and said our last goodbyes.  Alberto made me promise not to cry, but I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing after he boarded the plane.  It took an hour to calm myself so that I could drive back to the house and pack up the clothes to move in with my parents.  The wrenching pain I was experiencing made feeling nearly impossible, and I moved like a robot through the motions of life for weeks.  Unable to cope, I sought professional help from the psychiatrist and began medication.  I stayed that course for almost a year, feeling little and holding my pain around myself like a security blanket.  Then I stopped taking my prescription because I couldn’t afford my refill that month.  The first week I was besieged by withdrawal symptoms that were extremely unpleasant.  When the symptoms finally subsided, I was thrown into a frenzy of activity.  I did every single piece of laundry I had neglected, sorted clothing for donation, cleaned for hours on end, and slept for a total of 12 hours in an entire week.  I vowed I would not take another anti-depressant for the rest of my life after that.  I had been phoning-in as a mother for almost 9 months at that point and I was not going to risk returning to that state of being ever again.

I wish now I had been consistent with writing in a journal so that I would have written words to reflect upon.  I’m hoping that writing in this Blog will be the journal that I could never keep on paper.  Part of the reason I have difficulty with a written journal is my perfectionist attitude towards my penmanship.  If I write something down and make a mistake, I am compelled to rewrite the entire note/journal/letter until there are no errors.  This is time consuming and irritating in the extreme, but I honestly can’t seem to stop the behavior.  It was common for me to hand write several ‘drafts’ of a given project before I would either give up on the project or find a computer to complete my task.  Under the definition of anal-retentive in the dictionary is a picture of Deza Mendez surrounded by balled up pieces of paper with a look of exasperation on my face.


On that thought, I'm going to call it a night although it is actually very early in the morning to tell the truth.  Church tomorrow, and then I intend to spend most of the day doing absolutely nothing.


Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment